You can now create your own VR headset thanks to the open information provided by google on how to make the Google cardboard VR headset at home.
Not only this DIY will avoid you from spending money on the product and the shipping costs but you also get to have fun while making this entire VR headset and the process will ideally take at least 30 minutes.
The overall major costs would be the lenses, however, if you already have them from a previous project or they happen to be lying around in the house then this DIY is almost inexpensive for you.
- Cardboard: The ones you get in your pizza takeaway is of the perfect thickness that you need to make a cardboard VR headset.
- Lenses: Biconvex lenses of focal length 45mm, this might be the only component which you will need to buy.
- Magnets: One neodymium ring magnet for navigation and a Ceramic disk magnet of about 3mm thickness.
- Velcro Strips: Velcro strips of about 2 inches thick.
- Rubber band: It is needed to prevent phone from slipping out and holding it together with the headset.
- You will also need a ruler, glue, X-Acto knife and scissors.
The only thing you need to do once you have the materials is to download the set of instructions from the official Google cardboard site and get started !
In this Video, you can learn how to make the lenses from scratch provided you don’t have one. Once you are done with making the lenses you are all set to make the entire VR headset from scratch.
Well, you can even get a little crafty while making your own VR headsets by customizing it (Optional).However, you can do this step only if you want your headset to look a little bit fancy and different from the traditional VR headsets. I didn’t bother to customize mine since I’m not into art and craft but I already did find some cool customized readymade VR headsets that could be bought off amazon .
Do try this DIY with your kids,family or friends and try out the VR experience if you have never tried it before. Let me know in the comment section how your google cardboard looks like and if you had fun making one. For more on Google Cardboard, do check my review page and if you liked this post or in the case of any questions or queries leave a comment in the comment section below and I would be happy to help .