When the Oculus Rift was released, it had two pre production models revealed , them being the Development Kit 1 and the Development Kit 2.
The major question that arises is the difference between the two , so without further ado lets get into it.
- The VR headset in the dk1 is slightly bigger than the dk2, however the dk2 is heavier than the dk1. The headset in the dk1 was a little blurry comparatively to the dk2.
- The dk2 comes with an additional positional tracking which is done by the positional tracking camera that reads the IR lights which are present in the headset, which means while playing games you could lean over a wall and get the view but this was not possible in the dk1 headset due to its absence.
- This has to be mentioned- the positioning of the camera has to be done skillfully in regard to where you would be sitting while playing else it could be a little difficult for it to track you. However this became a lot more easier in the dk 2 kit
- When it comes to comfort level the dk2 is much neater with the arrangements of the wire and the straps to the head.Overall wearing dk2 is much more comfortable than wearing the dk1.
- Coming down to the field of view, since the picture quality is better in the dk2 at the end of the day I think dk2 headset is better even though you do find the corners of the screen visible at times but overall winner would be the dk2 headset.
- The dk2 is a 75 hz screen while the dk1 is a 60 hz screen implying you need a faster PC to play the dk2 headset.In dk1 headset because the resolution is anyway not that good and slightly blurry and due to faster refresh rated the quality of pictures were much better in the dk 2.
- Your graphics card has to meet the requirements to run the dk2 very well, actually to run Oculus rift you do need a beefy laptop specifications in order to avoid lag and a blurry mess.
Oculus Rift Developers Kit Dk2 Headset
Well the development kit is the one available all the time since there are many used sets which the testers want to give away ans they haven’t been used much however when the final consumer product will start shipping people would go for the final product.The contents of both being the same and the only difference being no Lucy’s Tale(LOL), so if you could live with that then I would recommend you to could go with the dk2 which is most probably the same as the final consumer product that would be available soon.
You could easily buy the dk2 off amazon and have hassle free experience rather than going to the Oculus site which as of now to me is a little annoying due to its slow shipping and many other rules.