HTC Vive is an amazing VR headset and it probably has the best VR experience. This makes watching movies on the HTC Vive a must as you can enjoy some really great quality entertainment.
Imagine watching your favorite characters in VR, it would be like standing by their side while they deliver the dialogues. Watching movies in VR is one of the amazing experiences and if you are yet to try it with your HTC Vive then you should read this post really well.
We are going to cover everything about how you can watch movies on the Vive and the best apps that you can choose. There are several apps that work well when it comes to VR movie watching but we are going to mention the ones that work the best.
F.Y.I. If you are looking for how to watch a porn movie on the HTC Vive then we have a whole different post for that, make sure to check it out. Otherwise, you can continue reading this post.
Why watch Movies on the HTC Vive?
It might seem a bit odd if you think about strapping a Vive VR headset for a really long time but if you are taking a few breaks and enjoying a nice 360-degree 3D movie or a VR movie then things can get really fun.
You can even watch normal movies in the digital VR theatres so basically you can watch any movie of your choice, 360 degrees or not. In VR you can totally exclude all the external noises and be immersed in a scene.
It is a new and exciting experience which is definitely worth a try if you have never watched a movie in VR. The image quality on the Vive or the resolution is way better than other VR headsets which gives you more of a reason to give this a try.
VR has made the whole movie watching experience better, although there are a few downsides it is still an experience you should try. You might just want to be careful in the running scenes and fast action scenes as that can cause some motion sickness.
If that happens then just close your eyes for a few minutes till you feel better and continue with your movie as you normally would.
What kind of movies can you watch on the HTC Vive?
1. 2D movies- These are the normal 2D movies that you usually watch on your laptop. You can mirror your PC/ laptop and watch these movies on the Vive as well.
2. 3D movies- These movies are the 3D movies that are released every once in a while. The format of this is slightly similar to the 2D movies and you might want to rip it into a side by side format.
3. 360-degree Videos- Now these videos give you more of a VR experience as you can view everything around you while you are standing in one place. It is pretty awesome how these videos work and give you a nice realistic VR video.
4. 3D 360 degree videoes- If you have a movie made in this format then you are definitely in for a treat. probably the best way to enjoy a movie on your VR headset. This format video in high resolution is going to give you an amazing VR experience. Currently, you find a lot of adult movies in this format.
Movie watching Apps for the HTC Vive
Well, this list is going to be similar to the one we had for the Oculus Rift. The apps that work on the Rift, work here as well, basically, you have two ways to watch movies on the Vive.
1. Streaming the movie Online
2. Watch a downloaded movie
Now the apps that are pretty cool which you can use to watch movies on the Vive are-
One of the best apps that we can recommend for watching Movies on the HTC Vive is the BigScreen Beta. This app works with many VR headsets including the Vive and lets you mirror your laptop screen on your VR headset without any issues.
This app is free to download and you can watch movies and TV shows from Netflix. This is probably the best way to spend your movie night.
You can double the fun by inviting your friends who have a compatible VR headset and the same app. Only one copy of the movie is needed to be played while you are watching it with your friends.
This way you can enjoy a movie with your friends in VR. The app can also mirror downloaded videos and movies on your laptop. If you haven’t heard about this app then check out the app here.
This is another amazing app that you can use for watching your videos on the Vive. This app can be used with Oculus Rift, Vive, Gear VR and Daydream VR as well.
It is more like a VR theatre where you can choose to watch any content you want from your laptop or PC. It works really well and mirrors the laptop or PC display amazingly on your VR headset.
The app is totally free and it has tons of features in comparison to the when it was released initially. It is user-friendly and if you want to watch your content alone then the SkyBox VR is the way to go.
This is a free app that you can install from the SteamVR and play all the 180 degree and 360-degree movies on them. They would go well with both 2D and 3D videos which is amazing as they give you that nice VR theatre experience that you have been looking forward to.
The Vive Video is FREE and easy to use, giving you another reason as to why you should definitely download this from the SteamVR for watching movies.
Not something we usually recommend but it is worth mentioning. The Virtual Desktop is another great app that you can use if you want to watch a movie or some videos online.
The only reason I do not incline towards this app is that it is not so user-friendly, I felt using it was a pain in comparison to the other options mentioned above.
It is also a premium app, so you have a lot of features and modifications that you can make to your movie and enhance the movie watching experience. It is not free like the other apps mentioned above.
However, it works well in the end and if you want another alternative to the apps mentioned above then the Virtual Desktop is to your rescue.
If you really want to have a stress free movie time on any VR headset then do consider these points as they are going to emphasize on how you can zone yourself out from the real world and enjoy your VR movie without any issues like motion sickness.
1. Take breaks- We cannot stress enough on this point. Your eyes are going to thank you later so take a few breaks after every 45 minutes you spend on the headset. If you want to avoid any headaches or VR hangovers then do consider doing this.
2. Motion sickness- If you are watching a movie that involves running or fast action scenes then there are chances that you might feel motion sick. If this happens, close your eyes for a few minutes and when things start feeling normal again, resume watching the movie.
3. Close the door- In case you are watching any adult content, make sure you have the door locked as you do not want someone to bother you.
4. Make sure you are not going to be bothered for a while and do not have any important calls to attend. This way you can have a really nice VR experience without any disturbances.
Well, that’s all for all the movie buffs out there. Choose an app and get started with watching your favorite movie right now.
If you have any new recommendations or suggestions then leave them in the comments down below!
Share this post with someone who would love to watch a movie in VR!