Zeiss is one of the companies well known for its quality lenses and hence I expected their VR headset to be one of the best because one of the major factors that is involved in having a great a VR experience is the quality of the lens. This Zeiss VR headset review will outline the advantages and setbacks of the Zeiss VR headset and would help us decide if this VR headset is worth the purchase or not.
Best offer: www.amazon.com
Amazon Ratings: 3.1/5 (36 customer reviews)
What I liked about the Zeiss VR Headset
1. Well, they do have high-quality lenses so that is a plus point for this VR headset. However, this was something expected from a company as good as Zeiss and I think all of us would have been disappointed if this headset did not have premium quality lenses.
2. It has its look inspired by the Gear VR and is sleek and elegant. So, if asked about the first impression, it is certainly good.
3. There wasn’t much blurring or pixelation involved and the lenses are pretty huge so you would barely need any focal adjusting (there are no focal adjusters in this VR headset). You can wear glasses while using the VR headset.
4. Its navigation is similar to Noon VR i.e completely based on the eye tracking software and you need to double tap on the headset to go back to the main menu and the head movements help you in choosing the menu options.
5. You need to install the media app and cinema app which have a touchless user interface and can be completely controlled by head movements. You could use it for any phone between the range of 4.7-6 inches.
6. You have customized tray in which you need to insert your phone and then later insert it in the slot which is in front of the lenses in the headset.
What I did not like about Zeiss VR One headset
1. They could have done a lot more with their apps and it gets a little boring after a while due to limited content.
2. Even though few of us might not need focal adjusters, many people have complained that it really sucks without them and with every other headset having it, I do not see a reason why Zeiss haven’t considered having it in their VR headset.
3. You always are redirected to some other app from the main app so that gets a little annoying, at least it did for me. However, if you are a person who would not mind navigating and downloading apps(needs a lot of patience) all the time then it could be a buy but after a while, it will get on your nerves!
4. The phone gets really hot, hot in a way that you will see the need to remove it out of the headset and keep it out for a while. This is something that will not let you use this headset for a long while.(Hacks to avoid overheating issues in phones)
5. You need to plug in headphones as the smartphone loudspeaker isn’t loud enough. However, in order to have an immersive VR experience, it is highly advisable that you always use your headphones with your VR headset.
6. Custom trays need to be made for different phones, so you need to buy one for your phone and in the case of a change in phones you may need another custom tray as of now they have it only for iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S5. It does not work with many phones due to the size of the case but I’m pretty sure about the two phones recommended above.
Gaming on the VR One
The VR One does offer games and experiences that are fun to explore and a few of them include Space Terror VR, Sisters, Insidious, VRSE, Crazy swing, etc. You might want to be ready with a Bluetooth controller in order to have a wide range of options when it comes to gaming with this VR headset.
The content on this VR headset when it comes to 360-degree videos is way less compared to the Samsung Gear VR and even the Merge VR. I feel the app is as ‘bad’ as the Noon VR app, just that at least the Noon VR has a better headset quality to look up to but in the Zeiss VR One even the headset quality is felt ignored.
I do agree you could go for other VR apps apart from the one dedicated for this headset, the same way you will need to do for the Noon VR, but once you pay more than $100 for a headset the least you expect is a well-functioning app with a lot of content.
The final conclusion of the Zeiss VR headset review is that the headset is way too expensive and it isn’t the best among all the VR headsets that are available in the market. It has and custom trays which are different for different phone sizes creating a lot of confusion on which phones actually fit the tray. The experience isn’t bad nor great and the least anyone would expect after paying around $100 is that you get an above average VR experience but that is not the case here.
Even the list price of Gear VR is $99 and comparing the Zeiss VR headset to it, it feels like Zeiss VR headset is a complete ripoff. Merge VR headset is way better as well since they are constantly developing more content for their VR headset and now have brought in different VR headset colors as well.If you really want to have a good VR experience then I would highly suggest you Merge VR, Samsung Gear VR or the Freefly VR.
You can try this headset out of curiosity but you need to be cautious of all the points mentioned above and if I had a choice I would really opt for other VR headsets rather than the Zeiss just because it is way too expensive.
This was all about the Zeiss VR headset Review, did you find the review helpful?
Do you have any experiences with this VR headset?
Leave your opinions in the comment section below!